While today’s consumers have more healthcare options to choose from than ever, this overwhelming selection — coupled with high cost and limited access — has left many clinics in a marketing rut. Forward-thinking healthcare leaders are now challenged to discover creative strategies to acquire and retain patients who often have a slew of inaccurate or misleading medical information at their fingertips.
Up-and-coming marketing trends with content and personalization at the core offer effective solutions as people increasingly turn to search engines and social media when seeking care. In fact, every minute, Google handles a whopping 70,000 health-related searches. And it’s reported that nearly 90% of Baby Boomers and older adults accessed social media to share and find health information.
To tackle these challenges head on, let’s dive into five powerful marketing trends reshaping the way healthcare providers connect with their communities.
Hyper-Personalized Content Builds Trust & Loyalty Amid a Sea of Sameness
In a world where we can customize anything from our morning coffee to our streaming playlists, people expect a personalized healthcare experience that goes beyond a generic greeting. After all, healthcare is personal — it’s about our bodies, minds and lives. Hyper-personalization caters to those individual patient needs, allowing providers to establish a relationship built on trust and loyalty.
- The Strategy: Email lead nurture campaigns, newsletters and other content tailored to patients’ preferences and demographics are just the tip of the iceberg. Providers can go even further by providing personalized recommendations based on patient behaviors, making their healthcare journey even more individualized.
- Success Story: Orlando Health is a prime example of hyper-personalization in healthcare, leveraging patient data to provide email communications that directly address commonly searched questions among new moms, specifically. This eliminates the need for endless internet research and provides targeted support to mothers who need it most.
- The Benefits: Personalized patient experiences increase satisfaction and loyalty, while tailored content based on behavior and demographics improves health outcomes and engagement. But it’s not just about the patients; healthcare leaders benefit from higher conversion rates and ROI. When patients feel cared for, they stick around — a win-win situation!
Short-Form Video Content Triumphs in a World of Information Overload
Easy to consume and share, short-form videos around a minute or less offer a memorable, engaging experience for patients. From dispelling complex medical procedures to sharing wellness tips, short-form videos simplify even the most intricate information, making it accessible to everyone.
- The Strategy: Short-form videos can be implemented through patient testimonials and success stories to inspire and uplift those with similar journeys. They’re also a dynamic way to educate patients on medical conditions, treatments and procedures — and let’s not forget about the power of wellness tips when promoting healthy lifestyles.
- Success Story: Mayo Clinic’s Minute series covers a wide range of health-related issues in a minute or less. From petroleum jelly benefits to preventing peanut allergies, their content is ideal for busy, yet health-conscious viewers.
- The Benefits: Short-form videos can lead to better informed and empowered patients, resulting in enhanced health outcomes that boost credibility and reputation. Plus, share-worthy videos augment brand recognition and exposure.
Alternate Reality (AR) & Virtual Reality (VR) Bridge the Healthcare Knowledge Gap
AR and VR innovations are transforming patient experiences by providing interactive simulations that prepare them for real-life medical procedures. From lifesaving interventions to routine checkups, AR and VR change the game for patients and providers alike.
- The Strategy: AR/VR has already begun to evolve the way patients are educated, treated and rehabilitated. Healthcare providers can now leverage virtual tours, procedure demonstrations and exposure therapy to effectively train patients.
- Success Story: XRHealth’s VR therapy solution is a virtual clinic that treats mental health disorders using VR headsets, a mobile application and a data analytics platform. Patients can receive at-home treatment from a licensed therapist to reduce nervous system stress and treat psychosis and depression.
- The Benefits: AR/VR differentiate a provider’s services to create a competitive advantage. Patients are also better prepared for procedures and conditions through proactive medical training and therapy.
Interactive Chatbots Enhance Healthcare Responsiveness, One Chat at a Time
AI-powered interactive chatbots provide personalized, timely support around the clock, redefining how people access care. Forget about waiting hours on hold to reach a busy medical professional — chatbots are always there to lend a virtual helping hand.
- The Strategy: Interactive chatbots can be implemented in several ways, from appointment scheduling and care plan reminders to symptom and diagnosis support. They can even provide health coaching, ensuring patients stay on track with wellness goals.
- Success Story: Gyant’s interactive virtual assistant uses the power of conversational AI to guide patients to their care endpoints, helping them find doctors, triage symptoms, schedule appointments and obtain the answers they need to stay on top of their health journeys.
- The Benefits: Interactive chatbots like Gyant have the potential to significantly impact healthcare delivery by allowing patients to access their health system on their own terms. This not only reduces call center volume, support staff overhead, and physician burnout but also empowers healthcare professionals to devote more time to providing efficient, person-centered care.
Patient Communities Harness Social Support to Improve Health Outcomes
Patient communities provide a safe space to connect, share experiences and gain a sense of belonging. These online groups offer invaluable feedback for healthcare organizations while giving patients relatable motivation and resources.
- The Strategy: Patient communities can take many forms, from online forums and social media groups dedicated to specific conditions, to in-person support groups and meetups for patients and caregivers.
- Success Story: The American Cancer Society’s Reach to Recovery website connects breast cancer patients with trained volunteers who have firsthand experience surviving the disease and provide support to others during their recovery journeys.
- The Benefit: Peer support encourages consistent self-management among patients, which reduces the frequency of hospital visits and lowers the risk of chronic diseases. As a result, healthcare providers can better utilize their time and talents.
Looking to make your healthcare marketing strategy as healthy as your patients? Staying up to date with the latest content and marketing trends is essential for reaching new patients and strengthening your connection with existing ones.
If you aspire to take your healthcare content marketing to the next level, our team of PR and marketing experts is here to help. Explore our full suite of marketing services and tap into the power of captivating content marketing and irresistible inbound strategies, tailored to elevate your healthcare brand.